Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Dad's Birthday

Yesterday would have been my dads birthday.  We did not have a party or big celebration, as a matter of fact I doubt that anyone outside of my wife and I even mentioned it.  We did have some flowers placed on the altar of our church in his name but that was it.  He would not have wanted more than that but I know he would have been pleased.                                                          
As I grow older I find that my thoughts go back to him more and more.  Strange only that like most of us, we tend to remember our mothers more that our fathers.  My dad, like most dads was the "bread winner" and so was not as present as was my mom.  He came home at night, tired from work. Checked in and had his dinner while listening to the news on the radio and then went into the living room to read the paper.  On the weekends he worked in the yard and his hobby, the huge garden in the back of the property.  One day I asked him for bicycle.  He patiently but firmly told me that we could not afford a toy that cost that much money and that I would probably break or loose quickly.  I was disapointed but had to agree, we did not have money for toys.   

A couple of weeks passed and then one Saturday he came to me!!! He asked me to come outside with him and so I did.  Much to my amazement, there was a shiny black bicycle, with silver painted handlebars, black painted frame and paper rack. It even had a light that was powered by the back wheel and a new seat.  He had found a used bike that was thrown on the junk heap, had the frame welded and then painted the whole thing.  Today, you would say it was a mess but to me, it was freedom!  

The story is not about me, it is told to help you understand the man who carried the vision of his sons disapointment in his heart and went out of his way to make my dream come true.   

Thanks Dad.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment